Did you know half a cup of summer squash provides 15% of your recommended daily intake of Vitamin C? When using zucchini for this recipe, choose squash that is firm, plump, and heavy for their size.
- 2 zucchini, grated
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Wrap grated zucchini in paper towels and squeeze as much water out as possible.
- Whisk eggs with milk. Add zucchini, flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and herbs (if using). Stir to fully combine.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm half of the oil. By the spoonful, drop the first half of zucchini mixture into the hot oil (6 spoonfuls). Cook until brown. Flip, and continue cooking until the other side is brown and cooked through.
- Transfer golden fritters to a plate. Then heat remaining half of oil to cook remaining fritter batter following the steps above.
- When ready, divide fritters and lemon wedges among 4 plates. Squeeze lemon over each fritter and serve with a dollop of plain low-fat or non-fat yogurt, if desired.