Zucchini Bread is a fantastic way to add vegetables and whole grains to your daily diet. And using whole wheat flour gives this quick bread a warm nutty flavor. Serve a slice with a glass of low-fat or non-fat milk to make a hearty breakfast or snack.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar and oil. Add applesauce, eggs, vanilla extract, lemon juice and mix until well combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Gently mix in zucchini and walnuts (if using).
- Transfer to prepared pan and bake 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.