Summer Squash Bread
This sweet quick bread makes enough for a crowd. By then end of cooking, you’ll have a loaf for you and a friend. If raisins aren’t to your liking, try dried cranberries or cherries.
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups zucchini (or squash), grated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 °F and lightly grease and flour two 9x5 loaf pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs lightly. Add sugar, oil, zucchini, and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, measure dry ingredients and stir to combine. Add raisins if desired.
- Add dry ingredients to the egg mixture. Stir just until all ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon evenly into two loaf pans.
- Bake at 325 °F for 50 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center. (Toothpick should come out clean.)
- Allow loaves to cool 5 to 10 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack. Slice and serve warm.