If you're looking to stretch your food dollars, try Summer Chili! This recipe offers 8 servings and nearly 5 grams of fiber in each one.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 cup each onion, carrots, and bell pepper, diced
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 15.5 ounces canned, diced tomatoes
- 15.5 ounces canned, low-sodium Kidney Beans
- 2 cups water
- 1½ tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cups summer squash
- Brown meat in a large pot over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Drain off fat.
- Add onions, carrots, green peppers, and garlic powder. Cook until onion softens.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, water, chili powder, and salt. Cook until chili comes to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and cook, uncovered, 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add zucchini or summer squash and simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes longer.