Our next Made at Home series with Becca Stackhouse from the University of Georgia will help you fill your freezer with good, nutritious options for meals at home!
Fill the Freezer - Not Just Dinner
by Katie Cullum, Becca Stackhouse (UGA Extension)
How would you like to have breakfast and lunch DONE? But you don't want to pay a small fortune, OR gets tons of extra sodium in the process. You can fill your freezer with healthy meals at a fraction of the cost that you'd pay for those sodium/fat-laden meals at the store! We'll help you.
Let's learn more about freezing breakfast and lunch portions! Check out the video to learn more about planning, time & cost savings, how kids can help in the kitchen, what to freeze, and of course the fabulous recipe demo. See below for the recipe!
Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos
1 cup diced potato (1 medium potato)
½ cup diced onions (1/2 medium onion)
1 cup diced bell peppers (1 medium pepper)
8 beaten eggs
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
8 whole wheat flour tortillas (8 inch)
- Label freezer bag with the name, serving instructions, and use by date (3 months from today).
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook the potatoes for 6 to 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add onions and peppers to the potatoes.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the potatoes are browned.
- Add beaten eggs to the vegetable mixture.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir off and on until there is no liquid.
- Stir in the garlic powder and pepper.
- Make burritos using diagram as a guide.
- Use 2 tablespoons of cheese and ½ cup of the egg mixture for each burrito.
- Wrap each burrito tightly in plastic wrap.
- Freeze in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Seal wrapped burritos into labeled freezer bag when they are frozen.
Makes 8 servings. Serve with fruit and low-fat milk.
To use: Remove plastic wrap from burrito. Wrap burrito in a damp paper towel. Set microwave on medium power. Heat burrito for 3 to 4 minutes.
Prep ahead to save time:
Dice onion and bell pepper and put into baggie. Refrigerate.
Tip: Doubles easily!
Nutrition Information per serving: Calories 270; fat 9g; cholesterol 190mg; sodium 500mg; carbohydrate 31g; fiber 2g; protein 14g.
To make this healthier:
- Instead of using 8 eggs, use 3 whole eggs and ¾ cup egg whites.
- Use 2/3 cup 1% low-fat shredded cheese (about 4 teaspoons cheese per burrito).
- Use whole wheat tortillas
- Making these changes will save about 70 calories, 2 grams of fat, 120mg cholesterol, and 140mg sodium, while adding 3g fiber per burrito.
Other great options for breakfast or lunch that I like:
Scrambled Egg Muffins - flash freeze, put into freezer bag or container. Thaw overnight and warm in the morning.
How to Freeze Sandwiches - from University of Nebraska Extension
Most muffins, pancakes, waffles freezer pretty well. Just flash freeze or wrap individually. Put into freezer bags or containers. Warm in the microwave (or toaster for waffles).