Beef Cattle Nutrition & Feeding
It is estimated that 75% or more of the annual cost of maintaining beef cattle is taking care of their nutritional needs.
These costs are incurred through
- pasture establishment and fertility maintenance
- harvest cost
- purchase of supplemental feeds
Nutritional management includes understanding the nutrient composition of feedstuffs and the levels required by cattle for optimal performance. Visual observations of body condition score and weight change are valuable for assessing cattle response to their diet. Producers can evaluate and plan to overcome deficiencies or target growth by testing feed(s) for their nutrient composition and utilizing ration balancing aides to formulate.
We offer guides and tools to help in beef cattle nutritional management.
Beef Cattle Feed Publications
- Beef Cattle Nutrition Series Part 1: Nutrient Basics
- Beef Cattle Nutrition Series Part 2: Establishing Nutritional Requirements
- Beef Cattle Nutrition Series Part 3: Nutrient Requirement Tables
- Beef Cattle Nutrition Series Part 4: Formulating Rations
- Water for Beef Cattle
- Feeding Beef Cows Based on Body Condition Score
Cattle Grower Ration Balancer This Excel spreadsheet is designed for balancing rations for growing and finishing cattle. A user's guide (PDF) and flowchart (PDF) are available for detailed instructions.
Comparative Feed Value Calculator Use this Excel spreadsheet to compare prices of various feedstuffs based on the value of protein and energy content of soybean meal and corn. A user's guide (PDF) is available for detailed instructions.
Mineral Profile Evaluator - This Excel spreadsheet compares the mineral composition of a mineral supplement to the requirements of lactating beef cows and growing calves.
For more information contact:
|Like us on Facebook!||