An Invitation to ESP Membership
Mission of ESP
The mission of Epsilon Sigma Phi is to foster standards of excellence in the Extension System and to develop the Extension profession and professional.
Since Epsilon Sigma Phi was established in 1927 at Bozeman, Montana, members have worked to strengthen the impact of the Extension System’s ability to address needs of individuals and communities through research based education.
ESP is one of the oldest and is the largest organization of Extension Professionals. Epsilon Sigma Phi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action organization. The organization values and seeks a diverse membership.
Membership is open to those Extension personnel (including Administration, University and County based Professionals) and retirees who exhibit excellence in Extension programming. Membership is established through state chapters that are chartered through the national organization. With members from all aspects of the Extension system, members have an opportunity to network with members from all of Extension regardless of subject area or position.
State chapters nominate outstanding Extension professionals for membership. If you do not have a chapter in your state, please contact the national office about joining as a member-at-large.
New membership dues are $110 annually, $55 for national dues plus $55 local chapter dues.
Benefits of ESP Membership
- Scholarships for individual professional development opportunities including advanced degrees
- Professional development grants for chapters
- Chapter and national recognition programs for member individuals and teams
- Opportunity to give peer reviewed scholarly presentations (national conference; webinars)
- Involvement in public issues and activities
- ESP Connection newsletter and other relevant communication to members
- Chapter and national leadership opportunities
- Network of Extension professionals united across disciplines and program areas
- Mentoring opportunities
- Chapter officer/member training support
- Involvement in global & international opportunities
- Partnerships with Joint Council of Extension Professionals and National Institute for Food and Agriculture (NIFA) - USDA
ESP Sponsored Programs
- National ESP Conference
- Professional Development Workshops and Seminars
- Member Recognition Awards
- Scholarships and Grants
Partnerships with JCEP
- Public Issues Leadership Development Conference
(PILD is held generally in April in Washington DC)
- JCEP Leadership Conference (held each February)
Types of Membership
Annual Membership - Extended to currently employed professionals with the Extension System of the United
States Department of Agriculture; 1862, 1890, 1994 institutions and counties.
Life Membership - Extended to Extension professionals who have retired from the Extension System.
At-Large Membership - Extended to Extension professionals in states without an established chapter only.