UACES Facebook Pesticide Application Training | Arkansas pesticide application training
skip to main content

Pesticide Training, Education, & Licensing in Arkansas

Applying pesticides requires appropriate education and training – known as certification and/or recertification - to assure safe and effective use. 

  • The University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture provides the training.
  • Arkansas Agriculture Department is responsible for testing and licensing.

Who is our online training for?

Our online training is ONLY for the private applicators (farmers/growers/ranchers) and the following commercial/non-commercial categories:

  • Agricultural Plants (ground & aerial)
  • Right-of-Way
  • Agricultural Animals
  • Demonstration & Research
  • Forest
  • Public Health
  • Wood Treatment
  • Regulatory
  • Aquatic

We do NOT train everyone. Are you in one of the following categories? 


  • Termite and Other Structural Pest Control                           
  • Golf Course Pest Control
  • Household Pest & Rodent Control                                            
  • Non-Commercial Pest Control
  • General Fumigation                                                                      
  • Non-Commercial Tree & Turf Pest Control
  • Tree & Turf Pest Control                                                              
  • Non-Commercial Fumigation
  • Weed Control (lawn care)                                                           
  • Non-Commercial Golf Course Pest Control

If you need training or licensing in one these pest control categories, you MUST contact:

Seth Dunlap
Manager, Commercial Pest Control Program
Arkansas Agriculture Department:
Phone: 501-219-6320

How do I get licensed?

There are two steps to the certification & licensing process for PRIVATE applicators:

  1. Certification/recertification
  2. Licensing

There are three steps for COMMERCIAL/NON-COMMERCIAL applicators:  

  1. Certification/recertification
  2. Passing the required tests
  3. Licensing 
  • Pesticide Education and Certification is the responsibility of the Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service. 
  • Pesticide licensing, rules, regulation, and enforcement are the responsibility of the Arkansas Department of Agriculture Plant Industries Division, Pesticide Section.
  • An individual is not eligible to purchase or apply restricted use pesticides until a license is issued.

I'm not sure which training to take. Whom do I contact?

Ples Spradley
Extension Pesticide Safety Education specialist
501-671-2234 or 501-944-0941 (mobile) 

There are three types of pesticide applicators:

  1. Private applicators are individuals who use restricted use pesticides to produce agricultural commodities on property owned or rented by them or their employer. Example: farmers, growers, and ranchers. Restricted use pesticides are not labeled for home gardens. A pesticide license is not available for home gardeners.

  2. Commercial applicators are individuals who apply pesticides for hire, for any purpose or on property other than that specified for defining private applicators. Examples: aerial applicators, custom applicators, etc.

  3. Non-Commercial applicators are individuals who use restricted use pesticides but do not qualify as a private applicator nor require a commercial applicators license because they are not applying pesticides for hire. Examples: researchers, Extension agents, chemical company representatives, etc. 

What does training cost?

Face-to-face or online training requires a fee of:

  • $20 for private applicators
  • $50 for commercial/non-commercial applicators

Who issues the license and whom do I pay?

The license fee is a separate fee that must be paid to the Arkansas Department of Agriculture Plant Industries Division, Pesticide Section. Call 501-225-1598 or email for more information.

We (the Extension Service) do NOT issue licenses.


Commercial/Non-Commercial Pesticide Applicator License for Applying Restricted Use Pesticides

Additional Resources

Two men calibrating boom sprayer.

Be certain to wear protective gear when handling, mixing or applying pesticide and all application equipment is properly calibrated.  Calibrating spray equipment not only helps ensure efficacy in controlling target pests, but help save money by applying the proper amounts of a pesticide.  Keep complete records of all pesticides purchased and applied.  Remember to follow the label when using any pesticide.  The label is the law -- not just a recommendation.

Pesticide Application Licensing Information

We (the Arkansas Extension Service) do not issue licenses. 

You may obtain a current Application Form to apply for a License from your county Extension office or download the form from the Arkansas Department of Agriculture website .

Make sure you download the correct form for your licensing:

  • Private - DP-25
  • Commercial - DP 30
  • Non-Commercial - DP 27

How long will my license last?

Private applicators can get either a 1-year ($10) or 5-year ($45), depending on when they were last recertified. Commercial and non-commercial applicators can only get a 1-year license.

What is the licensing process?

It is the applicant's responsibility to fill out the license form and mail it to the Arkansas Department of Agriculture with the licensing fee. The Arkansas Department of Agriculture will then process your application and send you a license by mail or email.

Note: Applications must be filled out completely. Failure to include the required information will result in license issuance delays. The license will list the expiration date for the license and the recertification required by date.

Ples Spradley
Extension Pesticide Safety Education specialist