Soybean Science Challenge Brings Real World Soybean Research Into The Classroom
The Soybean Science Challenge's goal is to bring real world agricultural (Soybean) research into the classroom. The Challenge has done this through online courses, virtual mini lessons, written lessons for the classroom, virtual field trips, presentations, workshops and the Soybean Science Challenge at both regional science fairs and the Arkansas State Science Fair.
Agriculture is a STEM-based economy that encompasses a plethora of scientists and researchers from biochemists to computer science engineers. Farmers use innovative technology and best conservation practices to grow crops that are both economically and environmentally friendly. This requires a strong background in science.
The Soybean Science Challenge encourages students in grades 6-12 to enter the Challenge with any agriculturally based or environmentally sustainable project in any ISEF affiliated regional science fair or the FFA Agriscience Fair.
Requirements to enter are completion of the Soybean Science Challenge Online Course, entering a science ISEF affiliated science fair or Agriscience Fair, and sending an abstract to Soybean Science Challenge coordinator Diedre Young.
Winners are awarded $300-SR and $200-JR at the regional and FFA level and three awards at the state level: $1000-1st, $500-2nd and $250-Honorable Mention. Teachers receive $200 (SR) or $100 (JR) at the regional level and $300, $200, $100 respectively at the state level. Science fair starts in March so consider sending an abstract in for judging!
2021 Science Fair dates are as follows:
- Virtual West Central Arkansas Regional Science Fair; ASMSA: 2/25-26 (Open to ASMSA only)
- Virtual Central Arkansas Regional Science and Engineering Fair: 3/5 Central Arkansas Fair
- Virtual Ouachita Mountains Regional Science and Engineering Fair: 3/5 Ouachita Regional Fair
- Virtual Northwest Arkansas Regional Science and Engineering Fair: 3/5 Northwest Arkansas Fair
- Virtual Northeast Arkansas Regional Science and Engineering Fair: 3/11-14 Northeast Arkansas Fair
- Virtual Southeast Arkansas Regional Science Fair: 3/11 Southeast Arkansas Fair
- Southwest Arkansas Regional Science Fair: 3/12 Southwest Arkansas Fair
- Virtual Arkansas State Science Fair: 4/2-3 Arkansas State Fair
- FFA State Convention Agriscience Fair: 4/26-27 State Convention Agriscience Fair
For more information regarding the Soybean Science Challenge, please contact:
Diedre Young, SSC Coordinator at email@example.com