Arkansas Landscape Tree Identification
Key for Identifying Common Landscape Trees in Arkansas
This key is designed as a simple visual tool to identify common landscape trees growing in Arkansas. It should be emphasized that plants encompass a population of individuals so specific morphological traits mentioned will vary between individuals. Traits mentioned are average or typical.
How to Start Identification Process
The following uses pictures to help you identify your landscape tree. This process typically involves selecting one photograph from a pair of image choices. By selecting the correct choices you will advance to the correct identification. Let's get started!
Suggested Tree Identification Reference Books:
- Brockman, C.F. 1968. A guide to field identification. Trees of North America. Golden Press, NY (similar to Peterson guides).
- Coombes, A.J. 1992. Eyewitness Handbooks: Trees. Dorling Kindersley, NY.
- Hunter, C.G. 1995. Trees, Shrubs, & Vines of Arkansas. The Ozark Society Foundation, Little Rock.
- Moore, D.M. 1999. Trees of Arkansas. Arkansas Forestry Commission.
- Phillips, R. 1978. Trees of North America and Europe. Random House, NY.
- Symonds, G.W.D. 1958. The tree identification book. William Morrow & Co.