UACES Facebook C.E.S.P. 10-1: Reimbursement for Demonstration Materials
skip to main content


System Management - Equipment and Supplies

C.E.S.P. 10-1: Reimbursement for Demonstration Materials

Date Revised: 11-22-2006
Supersedes: 2-17-2003

Summary: Establishes policies and procedures concerning the purchase of demonstration materials and miscellaneous items for use in Extension programs.

When authorized, Extension staff members may be reimbursed for the purchase of demonstration material and miscellaneous items. Items purchased must be used for the sole purpose of carrying out Extension work. Therefore, the Request for Reimbursement, P.U.R.C.H. - 330, must be submitted by an authorized Extension staff member. Reimbursement can only be made to the person who actually paid for the items.

Individuals making the purchase must observe all state purchasing regulations. Contact Financial Services to clarify any questions concerning these regulations. State purchasing regulations require that certain items be purchased only from state contract suppliers. Individuals may not purchase directly from these companies and may not be reimbursed for purchase of items handled under state contracts. The purchase of some other items is prohibited by the Smith-Lever Act and by Extension policy. 

Please note that using a p-card is the preferred method for small purchases.  For more information on Extension's p-card program, please go to:

Items that cannot be purchased: (Examples)

• Photocopies
• Business Machines
• Photographic equipment and supplies
• Artwork and slides
• Travel expenses
• Subscriptions to periodicals
• Equipment-type items costing $25 or more
• Dues to organizations
• Prizes
• Badges, pennants, or insignia
• Feed, seed, or fertilizer
• Light bulbs
• Office furniture
• Office supplies (unless purchased through Office Depot)
• Stationery items
• Food (except for demonstrations)
• Printing
• Clothing (personal)
• Paper towels
• Items normally furnished by the Extension Service through regular supply channels

 The following procedure will be used:

• Purchase the item and submit the original itemized receipt(s) to the Financial Services office with the original Form P.U.R.C.H. - 330, Request for Reimbursement.

• The total amount on a Request for Reimbursement (P.U.R.C.H. - 330) should be less than or equal to $250. The Banner Fund and Org number to be charged and the employee identification number of the person to be reimbursed must be indicated on the form.

• Any Request for Reimbursement that exceeds the $250 limit must have attached a P.U.R.C.H. - 330B, Request for Reimbursement Justification. Request for Reimbursements exceeding the $250 are for emergency uses only and require Administrative approval.

• The receipt must clearly indicate the item purchased, quantity, unit cost, and total cost.  Cash register receipts will not be accepted unless they are itemized. Receipts for small purchases may be accumulated and submitted together. A reimbursement check will be issued. It is not necessary to itemize purchases on Form P.U.R.C.H. - 330since this itemization appears on the receipt. Enter only a brief description; i.e., groceries, books, etc. One entry for each separate date of purchase and each vendor is sufficient.

• If the receipt from the vendor is not itemized, Form P.U.R.C.H.-903 can be completed to itemize the purchases; however, this form must be signed by the vendor. The original receipt must also be attached as documentation.

• The Request for Reimbursement  (P.U.R.C.H. - 330) must be signed by the employee submitting the form, the supervisor, and the project director if purchases are to be charged to grant funds.  It is recommended that Requests for Reimbursements be grouped and turned in for no less than $20.00.  Exceptions to this should be discussed with Financial Services.

• Items of a durable nature, such as books, should be marked indicating that they are Extension property. A stamp may be obtained from Financial Services for this purpose.

• Claims for reimbursement. P.M.G.S. 12-1 Travel Regulations. Reimbursement for Expenses, Accumulated Reimbursement Amounts.

Reimbursement cannot be made when:

• Receipts are not made out to employee.

• Receipts are not itemized.

• Totals on receipts do not match the amounts claimed on Form P.U.R.C.H. - 330.

• Photocopies of receipts are submitted instead of original receipts.

• Requests are for reimbursement to non-Extension employees or organizations.

• Requests are for reimbursement for items which should have been purchased through Financial Services.

• Form P.U.R.C.H. - 330 is handwritten instead of typed.

• Cash register tapes include items purchased for personal use.