UACES Facebook Replacing Valuable Papers after a Disaster
skip to main content

UAEX Money Blog

UAEX Money


Replacing Valuable Papers after a Disaster

by Laura Hendrix - June 29, 2017

When preparing for or recovering from a disaster, it’s important to know how to replace valuable papers. Documents such as birth certificates, insurance policies, and health records may be lost or destroyed. Prompt replacement prevents delays when the documents are needed.

  • Birth certificate, death, marriage, and divorce certificates are available from the Arkansas Department of Health Division of Vital Records is located in Little Rock, AR. Call 501-661-2174 or visit the website at: ADH Vital Records
  • Contact your insurance agency for a copy of your policy. If you have any trouble locating the company, contact the Arkansas Department of Insurance at 501-371-2681 or Arkansas Insurance Department
  • Order a replacement social security card online at or visit your nearest Social Security office.
  • To replace a driver’s license, visit your local revenue office.
  • Contact your local Circuit Clerk’s office for property deeds.
  • Visit your local Postal Service office for a new passport.

For a more complete list of valuable papers and how to replace them, visit UAEX Money or contact your county Extension Office and ask for the publication Replacing Valuable Papers, FSFCS45.