Key numbers from latest Div of Ag farm/flooding damage estimate
May 16, 2017
By the U of A System Division of Agriculture
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Here are key numbers from Tuesday’s storm/flood damage estimate from the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture:
- Total row crop acres affected by storms and flooding: 977,800
- Acres affected, but with crops surviving: 616,150
- Rice acres lost: 181,450
- Soybean acres lost: 121,800
- Corn acres lost: 40,150
- Cotton acres lost: 13,000
- Wheat acres lost: 4,250
- Sorghum acres lost: 1,000
- Since May 5, estimate four counties added with crop damage: Crittenden, Independence, Jefferson and Lee counties.
- 21 counties with flood/storm damage to cropland: Clay, Craighead, Crittenden, Cross, Desha, Greene, Independence, Jackson, Jefferson, Lawrence, Lee, Lonoke, Mississippi, Phillips, Poinsett, Prairie, Pulaski, Randolph, St. Francis, White and Woodruff.
In terms of cost per acre, that’s a dollar amount that includes seed, application of fertilizers, herbicides and equipment, labor and insurance costs, corn had the highest cost at $243.84; cotton, $283.13; rice, $192.06 and soybeans at $171.48.
About the Division of Agriculture
The University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture’s mission is to strengthen agriculture, communities, and families by connecting trusted research to the adoption of best practices. Through the Agricultural Experiment Station and the Cooperative Extension Service, the Division of Agriculture conducts research and extension work within the nation’s historic land grant education system.
The University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture offers all its Extension and Research programs and services without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital or veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status, and is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
# # #
Media Contact: Mary Hightower
Dir. of Communication Services
U of A System Division of Agriculture
Cooperative Extension Service