UACES Facebook Replacing valuable papers after a disaster
skip to main content

Replacing valuable papers after a disaster

By Laura Hendrix
U of A System Division of Agriculture
May 10, 2017

Fast Facts:

  • If valuable documents are lost or destroyed, know the agencies that can help you replace them  

(181 words)

LITTLE ROCK — When preparing for or recovering from a disaster, it’s important to know how to replace valuable papers.  Documents such as birth certificates, insurance policies, and health records may be lost or destroyed.  Prompt replacement prevents delays when the documents are needed.  

  • Birth certificate, death, marriage, and divorce certificates are available from the Arkansas Department of Health Division of Vital Records is located in Little Rock, AR.  Call 501-661-2174 for more information.
  • Contact your insurance agency for a copy of your policy.  If you have any trouble locating the company, contact the Arkansas Department of Insurance at 501-371-2681 or
  • Order a replacement social security card online at or visit your nearest Social Security office.
  • To replace a driver’s license, visit your local revenue office. Contact your local Circuit Clerk’s office for property deeds.  Visit your local Postal Service office for a new passport. 

For a more complete list of valuable papers and how to replace them, visit or contact your county Cooperative Extension Service agent and ask for the publication Replacing Valuable Papers, FSFCS45.


About the Division of Agriculture

The University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture’s mission is to strengthen agriculture, communities, and families by connecting trusted research to the adoption of best practices. Through the Agricultural Experiment Station and the Cooperative Extension Service, the Division of Agriculture conducts research and extension work within the nation’s historic land grant education system. 

The University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture offers all its Extension and Research programs to all eligible persons without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital or veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status, and is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. 

# # #



Media Contact: Mary Hightower
Dir. of Communication Services
U of A Division of Agriculture
Cooperative Extension Service
(501) 671-2126

Related Links