UACES Facebook Receive more than $3K in federal funds? Get to know SAM
skip to main content

Receive more than $3K in federal funds? Get to know SAM

October 3, 2014

Fast facts

  • New registration requirements for those receiving federal funds
  • SAM integrates four previously separate accounting systems
  • Agencies serving rural businesses, landowners implemented registration requirements in 2014

(307 words)

LITTLE ROCK -- Individuals, farms, businesses, government agencies, non-profits or private concerns that receive more than $3,000 in any type of federal money need to know SAM, or the System for Award Management.

SAM is the federal system that integrates four previously separate financial tracking systems.

“Until recently, anyone who conducted business with the federal government were required to be registered in multiple agency databases to receive payment,” said Bobby Hall, extension community and economic development program associate for the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture. 

The registry doesn't only apply to businesses that are paid by the federal government for contract work. It includes anyone receiving federal disaster funds, farm subsidies or grants for research, he said.

Before registering with SAM, individuals or corporations must have a nine-digit DUNS, or Data Universal Numbering System identifier. DUNS numbers are a means of identifying business entities by specific location. The DUNS number can only be obtained through Dun & Bradstreet.

“Those registering for this number and using it to register in SAM must do so carefully, because the system is very exact,” Hall said. “Any change in case or even spacing can cause problems for the user.”

Although the registration requirement went in to effect in 2012, Hall said that it has taken until 2014 for agencies serving rural businesses and landowners to begin implementing the SAM registration requirement.

Hall said that this summer, he’s encountered a number of farmers and others who had no idea they were obligated to register in SAM.

To help individuals and businesses navigate SAM, the University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service has created an easy-to-understand fact sheet, co-authored by Hall and Ray Blevins, director of the Arkansas Procurement Assistance Center, part of the University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service.

“Registration for Receiving Government Payments - System for Award Management (SAM),” FSCED201 is available from your county extension office, or download the fact sheet from

The Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service offers its programs to all eligible persons regardless of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital or veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status, and is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.

By the U of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture

Media Contact: Mary Hightower
Dir. of Communication Services
U of A Division of Agriculture
Cooperative Extension Service
(501) 671-2126

Related Links