Learn from the best Extension Educators on being at home with Extension!
Eating Healthy in a Jiffy: Whole Foods
by Original Author: Amy Monk, Montgomery County | Adapted for Blog: Torrie Smith,
Van Buren County
Eating Healthy in a Jiffy offers tips and recipes for scratch cooking with whole foods.
Ever wonder “what is a whole food”? Amy Monk has 6 tips to help you identify whole
foods and the health benefits associated with whole foods.
Try these 6 tips will help you make scratch cooking with whole foods faster and easier:
1. Use "real food" in your diet. Look for the words "whole" or for ingredient lists
with 5 or fewer ingredients.
2. Look for "whole grains" in bread ingredients.
3. Avoid addiditives in dairy products. Example: plain yogurt.
4. Avoid refined sugar or artificial sweeteners.
5. Opt for healthy fats such as avodacdo or olive oils.
6. Whatever you have handy in your home is what your family will eat!